Sunday, June 12, 2011

Update from George for Week 4 June 9, 2011

0700 June 09, 2011; We pushed off into another beautiful cool day after the
result of the storm that passed through last night. I had another 11 locks ahead
of me if I was going to meet Carol and Phil Jones at Sylvan Beach, Lock 22, that
afternoon. Well, one Lock lead to another and then another and by noon I was
only passed Lock 17 with five more Locks or five hours ahead of me. My cell
phone went dead because of it trying to stay connected in a very limited use area
and I had the Lock Master’s at Lock 17 & 19 to call Carol and advise of my delay.
At Lock 21, the Lock Master called Carol and I got to talk with her. She had left
her cell phone at home and they had been waiting over 3.5 hours at Lock 20 for
my arrival.

I arrived at Lock 22 at 1830 hours after another very long day. At Lock 20 and
21, you start down hill after being raised over 300 feet by the preceding Locks.
Also, the canal in this area becomes a canal and not the Mohawk River and it’s a
straight as you can draw a straight line. From Lock 19 to 22, I had a strong wind
in my face and the glare of the sun. In several places, I hit debris and had to
stop the boat to clear the engine.

Carol was waiting for me at Lock 22 Canal Wall where we tied up for the evening.
She took me to the local gas station, run by the Seneca Indians, and we topped
off with cheap gas. We then went to dinner and shortly after Chase and I were
zipped in for another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment