Sunday, June 12, 2011

Update from George for Week 4 June 7, 2011

0600 June 7, 2011: Wow, after 9.5 hours I arrived at the Troy, NY City Dock.
The day started a little late after yesterday’s trip but went very well. It’s my 24th
day of perfect cruising weather!

I had to cross the Hudson River to fuel up and I met John P. who owned the fuel
dock. Just two hours together and we were like Bro’s! He took me to the local
market to get a few things and while I was there his wife gave him Rosaries to
give to me for my travels. He also gave me a special gift that kept me going all
the way to Troy. You can figure what that gift was? I departed his fuel dock
at 0900 and arrived in Troy at 1830 hrs. The Hudson River has always been
special but today in a magnificent sunny day it was something else. I just sat
back and road the waves.

My only concern was that the motor ran a little rough last night and this morning
with fresh gas it ran perfectly all day. Also, on my way up the Hudson, I kept
running into large sections of debris. There were tree limbs, 2x4’s, large boards
with nails, mucho seaweed and more sticks than you can imagine. You could
spot some of the debris by the birds sitting on the logs and floating down stream!
I had to stop the boat more than five times to clear debris from the engine.
However with all of that to contend with, the river was flat with a south wind
and tide pushing me north and the main reason I made the trip in such good
time. One thing I found out about an hour into the trip is that you must follow the
markers. Even though it’s the wide Hudson River there are muddy and sandy
shoals and shallow spots. I never touched bottom but came very close. Once
again the GPS kept me on a true course.

I passed by Mike’s Matera’s home on the Hudson and gave it a custom wave.
There was a cute little light house in the middle of the river near by and of curse
I went around the wrong side and the bottom came up pretty quickly, but no
touching bottom.

I pulled into the Troy City Marina, a 500 foot floating dock along the seawall in
downtown Troy with several Restraints and Bars above looking over the boats. I
was advised by one of the boaters that several boats were robbed last night and
to be on watch. It was hot, muggy and I was very tired after a very long trip. I
had Chase by my side and no one came near us.

We will be up early once again and head for the 1st of many locks on the Erie
Canal tomorrow. The weather is supposed to remain warm and muggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment